Injury, hospitalization, and operation rates are low in aerial sports
Arif Alper Cevik1,2, Filiz Baloglu Kaya2,Nurdan Acar2,Adnan Sahin2,Engin Ozakin2
1Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine Clerkship, United Arab Emirates University, United Arab Emirates
2Department of Emergency Medicine, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey
Keywords: Aerial sportsInjuryMortality
Objectivess: Aerial sports can cause serious injuries. The rate of injuries is nevertheless reasonably low, contrary to popular belief. This study aimed to evaluate the rate and severity of injuries to ASI patients presented to our Emergency Department (ED).
Material and methods: The study was held at a university medical center. The patients who were presented or transferred to the ED in a four year period were retrospectively reviewed.
Results: 73.2% of patients were male. The mean age of patients was 28.6. The distribution of injury rates by activity was as follows: 1.46% in parachuting, 0.35% in paragliding, and 0.04% in hang-gliding. 75.6% of patients were trainees. In 82.9% of patients, the injury occurred during the practical session of training. The most common injury is soft tissue and ligamentous (ST/L) injury (41.5%). 25 patients (61%) had isolated lower extremity injuries (13 of them had fractures). Other isolated injuries were head trauma in 2 (4.9%) and vertebral fractures in 3 (7.3%) patients. 4 (9.8%) patients were diagnosed with multiple injuries. The overall rate of hospitalization was 0.07% (0.16% in parachuting, 0.08% in paragliding, and 0.03% in hang-gliding). The need for operation in overall activities was 0.04% (0.08% in parachuting, 0.03% in paragliding, and 0.03% in hang-gliding). The mortality rate was found to be zero in the region.
Conclusion: Aerial sports are considered dangerous sports activities, but the injury, hospitalization, and operation rates are low.